According to Missouri immunization laws, students are not allowed to attend classes unless all required immunizations have been received or if the student is in the process of obtaining immunizations, in which a Missouri state “immunizations in progress” form (ImmP.14) must be presented to the school nurse. Parents/guardians must provide written proof (an official immunization record) of compliance to the school nurse by the first day of school. Exemption from immunizations is allowed for religious or medical reasons. Please contact the St. Louis County Department of Health or your physician if you need an exemption form for medical or religious reasons.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the immunization requirements for school attendance, please contact your school nurse or the St. Louis County Department of Health.
SUMMARY OF IMMUNIZATIONS REQUIRED
Early Childhood Education (36 months to 59 months)
School Age (K-12)
- DTP/DT/DtaP (diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis) — four doses
- Polio — three doses
- Hepatitis B — three doses
- Hib (Haemophilus influenzae type b) — age-appropriate dose (1-3 doses)
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) — one dose on or after first birthday
- Varivax (chickenpox) — one dose on or after first birthday or a statement signed by the physician indicating the month and year the child had chicken pox disease
- PCV (pneumococeal conjugate vaccine) — age-appropriate dose (1-4 doses).
>> Return to Public Notices
- DTP/DT/TD/ DtaP — four doses with the last dose on or after fourth birthday and the last dose of pertussis before the seventh birthday (maximum doses: six). A TD booster is recommended if at least five years have elapsed since the last dose of tetanus and diphtheria toxoid-containing vaccine. A TD booster is required every 10 years after the last dose for school attendance.
- Tdap, which contains pertussis vaccine, is required for all students enrolled in eighth, ninth, 10th and 11th grade who have completed the recommended childhood DTap/DTP vaccination series and have not received a TD booster dose within the past two years. If a student received a Tdap booster, the student is up to date. Tdap is currently licensed for one dose only; an additional dose is not needed. For grades 11-12, a Tdap or TD is required 10 years after the last dose of DTap, DTP or DT.
- Polio — Third through 12th grade, three doses if doses are all IPV or all OPV, or four doses if combination of IPV and OPV is used with the last dose prior to the fourth birthday. The interval between the next to last and last dose should be at least 6 months. Kindergarten through second grade must have the last dose on or after the fourth birthday.
- MMR (Measles, mumps and rubella) — two doses for kindergarten through 12th grade. First dose must be given on or after 12 months of age. Second dose given on or after fourth birthday.
- Hepatitis B — three doses (required in grades K–12). Hepatitis B vaccination is required for students in kindergarten through 12th grade. This vaccine is a series of three injections — the second dose is due one month after the first, and the third dose five months after the second dose.
- Varivax — Kindergarten through fifth grade require two doses or written documentation from an MD or DO of the month and year of previous varicella (chicken pox) disease placed in the school file. Grades 6-10 require one dose or a parent/guardian, MD or DO written statement documenting the month and year of previous chickenpox disease. Grades 11-12 -- No doses are required; however, vaccination is highly recommended.
- Meningococcal Conjugate (MCV4) — One dose required for students entering grades 8, 12.